Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Avgolemeno Soup (Egg Lemon Soup)

If I had to pick one kind of food to eat it would be Greek food. Greek food has the best ingredients and never makes me feel heavy after eating it. I was introduced to it back when I was around 15 years old by my Greek/Russian ballet teacher. Ever since then I have been hooked. This is one of my absolute favorite soups and it is possibly the easiest to make. 
Avgolemeno Soup
Ingredients:
3 32oz. Containers of Chicken Broth (or 6 14oz. cans)
1/2 Cup of Orzo Pasta ( rice shaped)
6 small lemons ( or 4 Large)
3 eggs
Oregano
Black Pepper
Sea Salt

Boil broth and add 1/2 cup of Orzo. Add a few dashes of Oregano. Cook about 18-20 minutes or until al dente. Once cooked turn to low heat. Squeeze lemons and drain seeds. Add eggs and whisk. Once Orzo is cooked, slowly spoon a few ladles of broth into the egg and lemon mixture while whisking continuously. Then add egg and lemon mixture to pot while whisking continuously again. Add a salt and pepper to taste and let cook for maybe another 10 minutes. 
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment