Monday, September 30, 2013

DIY Fall Recipe with special guest... My mom!! :) Pumpkin Scones


Last week when I was planning my DIY for this week, I decided I wanted to do a gluten free recipe for the fall and I wanted it to have pumpkin in it.  While texting my mom about it one day, she suggested a recipe she had been using that was not only gluten free, but also dairy and sugar free.
It was also time to go see my parents for a visit, and an idea occurred to me. I should film the recipe with my mom! 
For over the past year or more, my mom has totally changed her eating lifestyle and is more than qualified to help me with choosing the right foods to use for a gluten free diet. 
In the near future, my goal is to maybe sit down with her one day and do a video on her experience/journey. I think a lot of people would be able to relate and just might be encouraged. 
Anyway, onto the filming! We had such a blast, laughing and goofing around. Of course me flubbing my "lines" and mixing up my words.  We had such a good time that I actually forgot to take stills of the actual ingredients and process.
So instead here are a few funny candid photos from the shoot.




I even gave my dad a job.. Lighting stand in!


Watch my Youtube tutorial here


And now onto the recipe!


Gluten, dairy, and sugar free Pumpkin scones

  • 2 cups Rice Flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie spice
  • 1//4 tsp. Himalayan salt
  • 1/2 c. cold Coconut Oil
  • 2 drops of Stevia
  • 3 tbsp. Unsweetened Apple Sauce
  • 1/2 c. Organic canned Pumpkin
  • 2 tbsp. Almond or Coconut Milk (we used unsweetened vanilla Almond Milk)
  • 1/3 c. dried cranberries (optional)


~In a large bowl mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
~In a seperate small bowl mix canned pumpkin, Stevia, applesauce and Almond milk.
~Cut in the cold coconut oil into the dry mixture with knives until it resembles small crumbs.
~Fold the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and add cranberries.                                                   ~Mix until it pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
~Drop by tablespoonfulls onto ungreased cookie sheet. 
~Bake for 23-25 minutes @ 425 degrees.

Makes 12-14 scones


A close up of the delicious Pumpkin Scones


No comments:

Post a Comment