Saturday, December 14, 2013

Thoughts on Christamas & some decorations


I started writing this blog post about how I decorated for Christmas this year on a shoestring budget. But for whatever reason what poured out of the keyboard turned into something a lot deeper than raving about the lights and garland. As I've learned so many times, things just happen for a reason and so I'm just going to roll with it. 

See, when I was a kid I LOVED Christmas time. From the smell of our live tree, to the Christmas records my sister and I used to dance around the living room to, it was a happy time. Another huge part of my childhood memories were from the time I was 6 years old, when every Fall and Winter were filled with countless Nutcracker rehearsals at the dance school I attended. It was a family affair since not only me,but my sister, brother, and dad were all in the production, and my mom lent her artistic talents to the costumes. 
Toy soldiers, Sugarplum music and candy canes are all things that bring those fond memories rushing back, along with a huge dose of sadness.
It was around the age of 19, that I lost my love of Christmas. No more Nutcrackers, no more Christmas Eve's at my Aunt's house singing carols with her huge family, and no more 12 days of Christmas with my Grandma Gammy. Once those things were gone, I kinda turned into the Grinch. Just hearing Christmas music on the radio or in stores sent me into a bad mood. For years it bothered me, and I simply shrugged it off to growing up and growing out of the childish memories. After a while I started to feel bad, almost guilty for not having any enthusiasm to want to celebrate that time of year. I began to examine myself and try and get in touch with why I couldn't find the joy in it anymore. It wasn't until this year when I forced myself to pull out the Christmas tree and tinsel that I came to the conclusion that I couldn't continue to go through the years hating the holidays because of all that I missed. I realized that now with nieces and nephews who had yet to make so many childhood memories of their own, that I needed to grow up, put my big girl panties on, and start helping them with those memories as an Aunt. 
Life flies by so fast. One day you blink and you are in your 30's still trying to figure out your own life, not realizing you contribute to the younger generation of your family and to all of the little memories that they will look back at when they are older. 
So this year I'm off to spend Christmas in Atlanta with my family. First time in many years :) Should be a great time and great memories. 
Now onto the decorations! Here are some things I did in my house and most everything is from the Dollar Store!





1 comment:

  1. Cannot wait to make new memories with you my sweet sister! ; )

    ReplyDelete