Wednesday, July 24, 2013

DIY Turmeric & Milk Face Mask

Recently my skin has been really acting up, especially in the cheek and chin area. I'm not sure whether it's weather related (it's been up and down in temperature and unusually humid) or me needing to drink a little more water:) Also, I have been noticing a few dark (sun) spots starting to appear on my face and to be honest it's kinda freaking me out. So I jumped on Google to research some natural fixes/cures for dark spots, and I found that Turmeric not only helps reduce them but it also helps with acne, wrinkles, rosacea, dark circles etc. 
Turmeric is a spice that is hugely popular in Southeast Asia , and a tradition for Indian brides to use before their marriage day. 
The benefits of Turmeric are pretty vast. It's rich with antibacterial, ant inflammatory, antioxidant, antiviral, and anti fungal properties. in addition it is packed with protein,Vitamin K, potassium, niacin, copper, Vitamin C, calcium, sodium, Vitamin E, iron, and zinc. 
The biggest thing I was amazed to discover during my research is that Turmeric has a huge other list of benefits besides helping the outside of your body/skin. Here's a list:


  • Prevents cancer! ( I know right!)
  • Prevents liver disease
  • Prevents Alzheimer's disease
  • Improves digestion
  • Helps maintain body weight
  • Boosts your immune system
  • Reduces cholesterol level 
  • Helps treat diabetes
  • Relieves arthritis
  • Heals wounds & burns

Is there anything this spice can't do? Seriously, it's pretty darn amazing. Now onto the face mask....
There are many different variations you can do with this mask (which I will list below) but I opted for what I had right in my kitchen at the moment. Here is all you will need for this mask:


  • Turmeric
  • Milk 
  • Bowl
  • Tablespoon
  • Spoon (to mix and apply)


Take 1 Tablespoon of Turmeric and add enough milk to make into a paste that's not too watery and not too dry. You don't want it to drip or drop off of your face once you apply it.


Now since Turmeric can stain your finger nails and hands, I found it easiest to apply the mask with the back of a spoon. It really got it on there evenly as well. 
Here's the finished look :)

 Leave the mask on for 10-15 minutes or until it's dried up. Use warm water to take off and then finish with a hot washcloth. 
I instantly felt and saw the results. My skin was as smooth and soft as a baby's bottom and I noticed some of the spots from left over breakouts and even my sun spots seemed lighter. I did notice a slight color change to my skin but it faded quickly and wasn't noticable at all. You might want to do this at night just in case. 
I am definitely going to be using this mask a lot. 

Some other things you can combine with Turmeric for masks:

Milk of course (great for dry skin)
Coconut Oil (great for oily skin)
Honey & yogurt
Olive or Avocado oil

Check out my Youtube tutorial here:




No comments:

Post a Comment